A Luger's Tale.

Et forum for folk med interesse i våben & munition anvendt under de sidste verdenskrige.
Besvar
Brugeravatar
Lycon
Admin
Admin
Interesser: Special Operations Executive
Geografisk sted: Nordsjælland
Kontakt:

A Luger's Tale.

Indlæg af Lycon » 9. nov 2008, 19:14

A LUGER´S TALE

Every gun has a story. With an interesting or unique gun in ones hands, who wouldn't say: “If only this gun could talk!”. Unfortunately most guns only come with a serial number and not their story. This time though, standing in the basement of the Museum of Danish Resistance 1940-1945 in Copenhagen, whilst on the prowl for something completely different, I was lucky enough to stumble across a Luger P08 with a story to boot.
#_1.jpg
#_1.jpg (161.87 KiB) Vist 18477 gange
  • Judge Karl Zahn´s SB Luger P08. Notice the ”1920” stamp above the year of manufacture “1918” and the Schivy safety. The small transverse milling ridge in the receiver is also clearly visible.
THE P08
The pistol was originally manufactured by the Deutche Waffen & Munitionsfabrik (DWM) in the year 1918 as a LP08 (Artillery 08). This is apparent from the small transverse ridge milled out of the leading edge of the receiver allowing for addition of a tangent-leaf back sight and the 20cm (7.874 inch) barrel. Only later it was re-fitted with a 10cm (3.976 inch) barrel. The stamp “1920” above the manufacturing year “1918” is a Reichswehr property stamp from the Weimar period, this was included to differentiate between guns that were owned by the Reichswehr from others. The letters “S.B.” engraved in the pistol grip indicates that the pistol was affiliated with the Shutzpolizei in Berlin. S.B. is an abbreviation for Shutzpolizei Berlin and “17095” is the inventory number.

The Polizei Luger also differs from a standard P08 by having a Schivy safety, also known as a sear safety. When the sideplate covering the trigger housing is removed, the sear safety blocks the sear bar preventing the Luger from firing during dismantling. The safety is a leaf spring riveted to the receiver directly above the sear bar. The sear safety most likely became a National Police requirement in the mid-1930´s.

It was however none of the above that drew my attention, but the jagged bullet hole in the front of the trigger guard. The projectile had completely pierced the metal almost in the middle of the guard completely removing the trigger. It then continued its devastating journey, striking the right side of the frame, removing a chunk of metal just above the magazine release button. The bullet then hit the magazine which crumpled into a non-functional piece of scrap and finally exited through the right hand side of the pistol grip in the process shattering the wooden grip beyond recognition.
#_2.jpg
#_2.jpg (164.77 KiB) Vist 18443 gange
  • All parts have matching numbers, even the magazine. The magazine is engraved with the text: “Haenel Schmeissers Patent”.
THE RESISTANCE
Naturally my curiosity was tickled to a degree that my ongoing research project was long gone and forgotten. I rushed to the archives in a bid to uncover any information that might be available. This time I was lucky. Often no information is available for items found in the storage room, however, in this case a short description of the event that led to the owner’s demise and to the history of the Luger was present. The story was told by resistance fighter Gunnar Harboe, who was involved in the shooting at first hand. In 1972 Harboe had donated his war trophy to the museum complete with a short description of the event.

At the time Harboe was a member of the illegal resistance group known as “Lysglimt” (Lightflash). The group had specialized in helping saboteurs, Jews, downed pilots and other people wanted by the GESTAPO across the sea to the safe harbour of neutral Sweden. On 5 May 1945, Denmark's Liberation Day, Lysglimt's task changed from illegal undercover resistance work to that of a full blown legal and highly visible army unit patrolling the streets. Their purpose, to maintain peace and order and to arrest known collaborators, traitors and informers.
#_3.jpg
#_3.jpg (159.54 KiB) Vist 18400 gange
  • The engraved text ”S.B. 17095” and serial number “458 c” are clearly visible.
THE STORY
On this very day they were told to arrest Mr. Karl Zahn serving in his official capacity as a judge in the GESTAPO headquarter “Shellhuset”. Mr. Zahn, born in Germany 21 December 1888, was also the owner of a glove manufacturing factory in Copenhagen. He was unquestionably a high profile official and as such had a direct phone line to the Headquarters of the German occupational forces in Dagmarhus allowing him to directly call on them avoiding the regular switchboard should he or his business be attacked by saboteurs. Into the bargain he had been given a waffenschein (CCW gun permit) and was issued a Shutzpolizei Berlin Luger P08. Not privileges an average Joe could even dream about.

The plan was to arrest him at his private residence in a small town just North of Copenhagen named Charlottenlund. However, things quickly got out of hand. When Senior Criminal investigator Carl Poulsen and Harboe pushed the doorbell, Poulsen in a clear and authoritative voice announced: “Police open the door”, they were met with gun fire, shots from inside the house cutting through the closed door, with one of the bullets grazing his scalp.
#_4.jpg
#_4.jpg (107.8 KiB) Vist 18398 gange
  • Notice the left side grip plate is fractured because of the pressure caused by the bullets impact into the magazine.
Harboe immediately returned fire by squeezing of a burst from his submachine gun through the still closed door. They were now met with complete silence. In order to get a better view Harboe stepped back into the front yard and focused on the windows. Suddenly he spotted Zahn behind a window on the first floor. They both opened fire simultaneously. Zahn managed to put a bullet in the right side of Harboe´s chest. The bullet hit the brace on his suspenders penetrating his ribcage, ricocheted and ended up in his crotch from which it had to be surgically removed.

When they finally gained access to the house they found Zahn lying dead on the Danish flag “Dannebrog”. At the front door they found the Luger P08 next to his right index finger and thumb!

Unfortunately I have not been able to get a more detailed description of the event. It would have been nice to know what kind of submachine gun Harboe used, make and model of Zhan’s backup gun and why was he lying on the Danish flag; after all he was German born! And finally, did he commit suicide or did he die from the gun shot wounds from the battle? I am afraid that we will never know, because the people involved are no longer around and the story died with them.

Sources:
The Museum of Danish Resistance 1940-1945, Copenhagen.
Efterlysningsliste til brug for feltpolitidetachementet, april 1945.
Information Nr. 306 – Nordisk Nyhedstjeneste Nr. 271 - 13. oktober 1944.
“My dear, it’s not how hard you hit them, but it’s where you hit them”
SOE agent Pearl Witherington

Universal 2.0

Re: A Luger's Tale.

Indlæg af Universal 2.0 » 9. nov 2008, 20:15

Very well written article, and thanks for posting it. :;_()

Brugeravatar
JBM
Silver Member
Silver Member
Geografisk sted: København S

Indlæg af JBM » 9. nov 2008, 20:19

:;_()

Wow, spændende historie. Tak for den.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Brugeravatar
Rahan
Platin Member
Platin Member
Interesser: Jagt og skydning.
Geografisk sted: Holstebro

Indlæg af Rahan » 9. nov 2008, 21:28

Den historie har vi ventet længe på.
Men den var værd at vente på :;_()

Brugeravatar
Barbarossa
Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesser: Pistolskydning
Geografisk sted: Sønderylland

Indlæg af Barbarossa » 9. nov 2008, 21:37

PerNielsen skrev:Den historie har vi ventet længe på.
Men den var værd at vente på :;_()
Det er helt sikkert
Søren
If Harley made Helicopters would you fly it?

Brugeravatar
HePe
Platin Member
Platin Member
Interesser: våben- og jagtlovgivningen
Geografisk sted: Hovedstaden

Indlæg af HePe » 10. nov 2008, 08:49

JBM skrev: :;_()

Wow, spændende historie. Tak for den.
Det samme siger jeg!

Brugeravatar
Redakula
Gold Member
Gold Member
Interesser: Pistolskydning
Geografisk sted: Aalborg

Indlæg af Redakula » 10. nov 2008, 09:44

Der gemmer sig da vist en forfatter i vores admin ;-)

Good work!
/redakula ;-)

A system of licensing and registration, is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie
Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Brugeravatar
Lycon
Admin
Admin
Kontakt:

Indlæg af Lycon » 12. nov 2008, 20:08

Tak for de mange positive tilkendegivelser, det er virkelig en motivationsfaktor der sparker røv.

For de interesserede kan jeg oplyse at der en artikel på vej om Stockmine 43 og den danske håndgranat M/23.

Brugeravatar
Schreiber
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Geografisk sted: Vestjylland

Indlæg af Schreiber » 13. nov 2008, 07:28

Lycon skrev:Tak for de mange positive tilkendegivelser, det er virkelig en motivationsfaktor der sparker røv.

For de interesserede kan jeg oplyse at der en artikel på vej om Stockmine 43 og den danske håndgranat M/23.
Jamen det er så lækkert Lycon!!!!

Er i sær vildt med de billeder :D (Må man bruge dem? Eller er de copyrighted ?)
I don't know with what weapons the 3rd world war will be fought,
but I know that the 4th will be fought with clubs.

-Albert Einstein

Brugeravatar
JBM
Silver Member
Silver Member
Geografisk sted: København S

Indlæg af JBM » 13. nov 2008, 10:53

Lycon skrev:Tak for de mange positive tilkendegivelser, det er virkelig en motivationsfaktor der sparker røv.

Jeg glæder mig rigtig meget til artiklen om M23 håndgranaten (haandbombe). Har altid undret mig over den, historien bag, funktionalitet i forhold til andre/senere håndgranater.

Tusind tak!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Brugeravatar
Lycon
Admin
Admin
Kontakt:

Indlæg af Lycon » 13. nov 2008, 12:56

JBM skrev: Jeg glæder mig rigtig meget til artiklen om M23 håndgranaten (haandbombe). Har altid undret mig over den, historien bag, funktionalitet i forhold til andre/senere håndgranater.
Artiklen om henholdsvis Håndbombe M/23 og Håndgranat M/23 har været længe undervejs idet det har været uhyre svært at skaffe valide oplysninger om dens oprindelse. Jeg mener selv det er et Aasens concept men har ikke kunne finde dokumentation herfor hvorfor jeg udelukkende forholder mig til design, funktionalitet og anvendelse, hvilket forøvrigt er spændende nok. ::-;<

Såfremt forhistorien til den skulle dukke op vil denne naturligvis blive koblet på den.

Mange af mine artikler bliver trykt i The Armourer military magazine og foruden min artikel om den falske Welrod er der, i den nuværende udgave, også en meget interessant artikel af Peter J.C. Smith om V1'eren og et angreb juleaftensdag 1944 tæt på Manchester.

Der er også for tiden en artikelserie om den nylig udgravede bunkerfæstning "The Maisy Battery" i Normandiet, for dem der interessere sig for betonhuse, alt i alt et meget alsidigt og informativ våbenmagasin til samleren og den historisk interesserede.

Hvis man ikke ønsker at abonnere på bladet kan de købes som backissues.

Brugeravatar
Lycon
Admin
Admin
Kontakt:

Indlæg af Lycon » 13. nov 2008, 12:58

Schreiber skrev:
Er i sær vildt med de billeder :D (Må man bruge dem? Eller er de copyrighted ?)
Du er velkommen til at trække dem ned til din egen PC til privatbrug, men nej du må ikke bruge dem commercielt.

Brugeravatar
Martin REX
Silver Member
Silver Member
Geografisk sted: Midtjylland

Indlæg af Martin REX » 13. nov 2008, 16:49

@ Lycon

Facinerende læsning som selv en blankvåbenmand kan finde fornøjelse i at læse

dyb respekt til dig ;.;<
Do not underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

byf43
Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesser: WWII
Geografisk sted: Sjælland

Indlæg af byf43 » 17. nov 2008, 11:05

Spændende, tak for historien og billederne, som er gode.

Brugeravatar
Lycon
Admin
Admin
Kontakt:

Indlæg af Lycon » 20. dec 2008, 15:18

JBM skrev:

Jeg glæder mig rigtig meget til artiklen om M23 håndgranaten (haandbombe). Har altid undret mig over den, historien bag, funktionalitet i forhold til andre/senere håndgranater.
Artiklen kan nu læses i magasinet The Armourer Det er ikke et online magasin så det forudsætter at man køber et abonnement eller det pågældende blad.
Vedhæftede filer
HGR.jpg
HGR.jpg (78.86 KiB) Vist 16827 gange

Brugeravatar
Lycon
Admin
Admin
Kontakt:

Indlæg af Lycon » 24. jan 2009, 00:07

Artiklen om M/23 er nu også publiceret i det amerikanske Small Arms Review magasin for de som måtte være interesseret.

Brugeravatar
PerD
Gold Member
Gold Member
Interesser: Militærgeværer 1870 - 1945
Geografisk sted: Varde
Geografisk sted: Varde
Kontakt:

Indlæg af PerD » 24. jan 2009, 11:28

Hvem har taget de fremragende billeder af 08'eren?

mvh
Per
Stg 44
Mauser M41
K43
Johnson M41
Garand 1943 Sniper
Springfield 1903 - Pedersen
US Carbine
AG-42
SVT40
SVT38
+ alle de andre...

Brugeravatar
Lycon
Admin
Admin
Kontakt:

Indlæg af Lycon » 24. jan 2009, 12:24

PerD skrev:Hvem har taget de fremragende billeder af 08'eren?
Det har jeg. :mrgreen:

Brugeravatar
Mausertossen
Platin Member
Platin Member
Interesser: skydevåben
Geografisk sted: Bagsværd

Indlæg af Mausertossen » 24. jan 2009, 15:23

Per, hvis Du melder Dig ind i VHS kan Du tage et kursus i våbenfotografering som er ret godt. De første kursister melder om rigtig gode resultater. :)
/VHS_ad_off
Søren
And the Lord said, “Let there be crackpots.”
And there were crackpots.

Slettes3
UDMELDT AF NVF
Interesser: Slettes
Geografisk sted: Danmark
Geografisk sted: Danmark

Indlæg af Slettes3 » 24. jan 2009, 21:59

Fantastisk historie Lyc! :eek:

Det er en fryd, at ud over er interesseret i våben, osse har stor interesse i krigshistorien. :D

Normalt har jeg ikke selv nogen interesse i 9mmvåben overhovedet...men skulle jeg nogensinde få en hjerneblødning, så skulle det osse være en Luger Artilleri eller Luger marine det skulle være....også med hele pivtøjet <+:

Jeg har en fantastik historie om en Lee Enfield .303cal. Kunne du ikke hjælpe med at få den scannet ind, så nvfs medlemmer kan sidde en hel nat og læse til den bitre ende <>\:

Brugeravatar
Lycon
Admin
Admin
Kontakt:

Indlæg af Lycon » 3. mar 2009, 19:49

Lycon skrev:For de interesserede kan jeg oplyse at der en artikel på vej om Stockmine 43 og den danske håndgranat M/23.
Nu kan artiklen om den tyske Stockmine M43 der blandt andet prydede den danske Vestkyst læses her: The Armourer (hvis man køber magasinet).
Vedhæftede filer
Armourer_Stockmine.jpg
Armourer_Stockmine.jpg (81.63 KiB) Vist 15609 gange
Stockmine-Type-II.jpg
Stockmine-Type-II.jpg (27.2 KiB) Vist 15630 gange

Brugeravatar
Blunderbuss
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Geografisk sted: roskilde

Indlæg af Blunderbuss » 4. jan 2011, 22:51

:???: det er noget lo.. at jeg ikke er så god til engelsk :cry:
Med krudt og kugler
Baltzar

Brugeravatar
Guns&Tits
Gold Member
Gold Member
Interesser: ........
Geografisk sted: ........
Geografisk sted: ..........

Indlæg af Guns&Tits » 5. jan 2011, 10:04

Blunderbuss skrev::???: det er noget lo.. at jeg ikke er så god til engelsk :cry:

http://translate.google.dk/?hl=da&tab=wT#

Så oversætter du bare den fine artikkel

Besvar